1. A_________ gain or profit is the actual gain after all working expenses have been paid.
A. gross B. net
C. positive D. negative
2. A better working environment improves people's performance, and _________ productivity.
A. furthermore B. hence
C. moreover D. even
3. A completely new situation will ________ when the examination system comes into exist-ence.
A. rise B. arise
C. raise D. arouse
4. A cork will ________ in water, but a stone sinks.
A. fly B. flow
C. float D. drift
5. A dark suit is preferable _________a light one for evening wear.
A. to B. than
C. for D. against
6. By next year, I shall have ________ all my debts.
A. cleared up B. cleared off
C. cleaned up D. cleaned away
7. By the end of 1994, 559 kinds of products bad been _________green food,
A. named B. restricted
C. classified D. labeled
8. By the end of the class, some students had ________ ink.
A. finished B. run out of
C. ended D. dried up s
9. Cambridge has announced plans to establish a business school _________ the master's degree in business administration.
A. representing B. presenting
C. offering D. supplying
10. Can a novelist remain _________ to the problems of the world in which he lives?
A. impartial B. indifferent
C. careless D. detached